Portugal Schengen Visa Application Requirements
Depending on the purpose of your travel to Portugal, there are different types of visas that will apply to the occasion. Whether you are planning to go on a visit, study or work and reside in Portugal permanently, you will have to apply for a different Portuguese Schengen Visa, accordingly.
The visa fees may also be waived for participants aged 25 years or less in seminars, conferences and sports, cultural or educational events, organized by non-profit organizations. The decision will be made case by case according to the relevance of the event.
Again, in case the visa is denied there is no refund of the money paid.
Which type of citizens need a visa to enter Portugal: Click for the list of countries?
Portugal itself in total has near 48 Embassies and 17 Consulates spread all over the world. For the list of Foreign Embassies and Consulates from around the world located in Portugal as well as Portuguese Embassies, Consulates and other Portuguese representations worldwide Click Here
General required documents for a Portuguese Visa Application:
- Download the Visa application form; fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Portugal Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about photo requirements and specifications for a Portuguese Visa.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Schengen Travel Insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Portugal and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Portugal and itinerary
- Booked Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Portugal
- Hotel Booking Reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Portugal
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Portugal.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- No-objection certificate from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- Leave approval letter from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
Start your VISA processing soon to get your confirmation to attend the event.
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Portuguese Visa application.
List of additional documents required for the most frequent purposes of Portugal Visa Application:
Portugal Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Portugal with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Portugal Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Portuguese company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Portugal Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Portugal, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Portugal Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members), Duration of stay, Travel itinerary.
Portugal Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay, Place of accommodation.
Portugal Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Portugal Visa for the Wife/Husband of a Portuguese citizen:
- Proof of Portuguese citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Portuguese nationality or naturalization order)
- Portuguese marriage certificate
- Portuguese family record book
Portugal Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Portugal Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Portuguese embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Schengen Visa Fees:
When applying for a Schengen visa there is a non-refundable mandatory visa fee every applicant must pay.
The Schengen visa costs vary depending on the type of visa and age of the applicant as well as some other exceptions stated below in the text. The Schengen visa fee can be paid in the designated consulate/embassy via cash, debit or credit card. However, some consulates may not allow you to pay by credit card.
For Fee details visit: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-fee/
It is advisable to take out travel insurance for your trip.
Given that conditions may vary, we suggest you contact your closest Portugal Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.
For any further details please visit the website: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/portugal-visa/